Information for Applicants:
An Australians in Film Heath Ledger Scholarship will be awarded to an Applicant who:
The scholarship activities must be undertaken in the 2018/2019 calendar year.
The scholarship is awarded to an actor who is ready to transition to an international career or train in Los Angeles.
AiF encourages actors from under-represented sectors of the Australian screen community to apply.
How will the Scholarship be awarded?
A panel of at least five judges from the Australian & U.S. film & television community will be appointed to make the selection from a list of Finalists selected by the Heath Ledger Scholarship Selection Committee nominated by the Chairperson, in conjunction with the Australians in Film Board of Directors.
How will the Scholarship be funded?
Australians in Film Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, underwrites the Scholarship.
USD $50 per application to apply, which includes a one-year international industry/education membership to Australians in Film.
Current AiF members** pay USD $10 administrative processing fee.
**Does not include AiF Flexi-pass holders. Membership will be checked**
If you wish to apply for a fee waiver due to financial hardship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants are required to obtain two different references from different individuals. Applicants should include at least one reference from a recognized authority involved in the arts or entertainment industries. Applications submitted without the two supporting references will not be accepted.
A recognized authority in the arts or entertainment industry includes: your acting/drama teachers/ coaches, heads of an acting academy, directors of films or stage performances you have been involved in, casting directors, accomplished cast members of a production you were directly involved in, or any persons with expertise in the arts and entertainment industry. References should be from people who can directly attest to your work ethic, how you work with others, your skills, their belief in your ability and your personality and character. The Heath Ledger Scholarship winner should mirror Heath's generous spirit and his dedication to his craft.
Applicant is required to submit an industry standard headshot, i.e. it must be in color, show your whole face, and must look like you.
Show reel video:
Please provide a video that best showcases your talent to support your application. This video should be no longer than two minutes long, with your strongest material at the beginning. This could be a reel, a scene, a monologue or any creative piece that you feel conveys your best talents. Any videos over two minutes will not be viewed.
The video can be submitted in one of two ways, either by providing a link to YouTube or Vimeo, or by directly uploading a video file to your application.
WARNING: If you chose to submit a link to YouTube or Vimeo - your video must be set to public and have no privacy restrictions or password protections. If a password is required to view your video, your application will be disqualified. If you must submit a video with private content, or if you think you may need to set a password at any point before the Scholarship recipient is announced, we recommend uploading a video file instead.
Applicants must be able to attend an interview in Australia (or by phone or Skype) if required, as well as engage in PR requests provided by AiF.
The Applicant will agree to provide quarterly reports outlining objectives met and outcomes over 12 months. The Scholarship financials will be paid quarterly upon receiving reports. The Applicant may be required to present the report to the Australians in Film Heath Ledger Scholarship Committee.
1. Citizenship/ Residents. Heath Ledger Scholarship is confined to Australian citizens only.
2. Age. Awards are granted to Applicants over the age of 18 years and under the age of 35 at the time of applying.
3. Interviews. Applicants must be available to attend an interview in person if required.
4. Citizens Overseas. Applicants who are Australian citizens living overseas may be considered for the Scholarship.
5. Amount of Award. The amount of cash money attached to the Heath Ledger Scholarship is US$15,000 to be paid quarterly and deposited in to a U.S. bank account only.
6. Support from Other Sources. The Selection Committee will take account of any other existing sources of support for particular Applicants and will normally avoid duplicating the activities of other bodies. Only in special circumstances may a scholarship be awarded concurrently with another award.
7. Contract. The award of a Heath Ledger Scholarship is subject to the Scholar agreeing to be bound by the conditions laid down in a contract document signed between Australians In Film Heath Ledger Scholarship Inc and the Scholar. A Scholarship cannot commence until the Board receives an executed copy of the contract document from the Scholar.
8. Scholarship Travel. The Scholarship will pay or provide for all approved Scholarship air travel and, whenever possible, arrange for tickets to be issued to a Scholar before departure.
9. Major Travel. All major travel will be by economy class air. Travel will begin and terminate at the major airport nearest to the Scholar's home address. The route and/or sequence of places to be visited may be varied to reduce costs.
10. Supplementary Travel. Ground travel may be authorized to supplement and or complement air travel.
11. Internal Travel Allowances. If it is not possible to pre-purchase or acquire tickets to cover all travel, a Travel Allowance will be paid in advance to allow the Scholar to purchase the necessary tickets.
12. Visas. Successful Applicant is responsible for obtaining any relevant visas in order to fulfill travel requirements. Applicants may not have any convictions or pending charges for a felony, domestic violence, or drug-related offense. If selected applicant does not have the required visa to live and work in the United States, Applicant agrees to cooperate with AiF and Raynor and Associates in securing an O-1 visa. This includes supplying the following documentation: evidence of awards or nominations, press and publicity (newspaper/magazine articles), past contracts showing high salary, and letters of recommendation from prominent people in the entertainment industry.
13. Payment. Allowances will be paid after approval of the Final Program or 2-4 weeks before the Scholars departure date, whichever is the later.
14. Income Tax. The liability of a Scholar for Income Tax is a matter for decision by the Commissioner of Taxation and the Board has no responsibility or authority in the matter. However, an allowance paid to Scholar is likely to be treated as assessable income. The Board recommends that Scholar keeps receipts for all expenditure of their Scholarship funds and seek independent advice with respect to their eligibility for claiming tax deductions.
15. GST Liability. There may be GST implications for Scholarship funds. Any GST liability will be borne by the successful Applicant unless otherwise advised or approved. It is the successful Applicant's sole responsibility to ascertain if there is GST implications and to advise the Board accordingly.
16. Application Form. The purpose of the application form is to enable the Board and Selection Committee to assess the Applicant and the outline of the activities proposed in order to draw up short lists for interview. All applications must be made on the Application Form provided. No grace periods.
17. References. An Applicant is required to obtain two different references from different individuals. Applicants should include at least one reference from a recognized authority involved in the arts or entertainment industries. The references should be returned to the Applicant for submission with their application. Applications submitted without the two supporting references will not be accepted.
18. Selection. Once submitted, all applications will be acknowledged. Selection of Heath Ledger Scholarship is completed in 2018 using the following timetable:
(a) Application Start Date. Applications are OPEN from Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 4:00 PM (PST US)
(b) Submission of Applications. Applications with supporting references must be submitted online by the closing date.
(c) Closing Date. Applications CLOSE at 6:00 PM on June 21, 2018 (PST US). Applications lodged or received after that date will not be considered. Applications must be completed on the Australians in Film website or its third party Scholarship provider website, FluidReview. Faxed or mailed applications will not be accepted.
(d) Selection. The selection of Heath Ledger Scholarship and the procedure undertaken are at the absolute discretion of the Board and the Selection Committee.
(e) Successful Applicants. The Successful Applicant will be officially announced at a ceremony in Los Angeles, USA in September 2018.
(f) Reserve Applicants. Reserve Applicant may be selected but will only be advised if a selected Applicant is unable to take up a Scholarship.
(g) Unsuccessful Applicants. Unsuccessful Applicants will not be advised individually if they are not selected as a Finalist. Judges will select a recipient of the Primary Scholarship from the list of Finalists - again, only the recipient of the Primary Scholarship will be notified individually.
19. Materials. All Materials forwarded by Applicants for the Heath Ledger Scholarship become the property of Australians In Film Heath Ledger Scholarship, Inc.
20. Reapplying. The awarding of Heath Ledger Scholarship is a competitive process with the merit of the proposal being the primary test. Unsuccessful Applicants are encouraged to reapply in subsequent years.
21. Privacy Statement. Your privacy is respected by the Board of Australians In Film and personal information will be handled in a sensitive manner. Information collected on the Application and References will be used for the purpose of selecting Heath Ledger Scholarship and will be provided to Heath Ledger Scholarship Staff, Selection Panel and Committee Members, the Board of Australians In Film and Heath Ledger Scholarship sponsors.
22. Media Release And Other Publicity. A successful Applicant's name and the subject of the Scholarship will be provided to the media as part of a media release at the time the annual Heath Ledger Scholarship is announced. These details may be used to promote the Scholarship with the media. An Applicant's name and Scholarship may also be published on the Australians in Film Website and newsletter, so that the community can easily access the Reports and benefit from the Scholarship experience.
23. Ineligible Applications. If you do not provide all the information requested on the forms the Board will be unable to process your application.
24. Amendments. Once submitted, the only amendments or alterations allowed by an Applicant is that they may access and update the personal information that the Board holds at any time.
If you have privacy concerns or would like to verify information held about you please contact email@example.com.
*Applications close at 6:00PM June 21, 2018 (PST US) /
11:00AM June 22, 2018 (AEST)*
Please make sure you have all the items in the check list prepared and ready before starting your application:
1) Create an application
Australians in Film is hosting the application forms for the 2018 Heath Ledger Scholarship using third party program FluidReview.
To apply for the Scholarship, head to the FluidReview website to create an account and enter your information.
2) Upload a video
Applicants must submit either a link to a video on YouTube or Vimeo, or a video file in one of these supported file types: AVI (preferred), Quicktime (.mov), MPEG (.mpg, .mpeg, .mp4), Windows Media (.wmv), Flash Video (.flv, .f4v). Videos uploaded must be smaller than 1000MB in size. If you get an error while uploading, please try uploading a different file format.
3. Long-Answer Form
Applicants must answer questions about themselves and their goals for the Scholarship. Each question has a pre-set word limit that cannot be exceeded.
4. Headshot/ Photo
You must submit an industry standard headshot, i.e. it must be in color, show your whole face, and must look like you. File Types Supported: Images (.jpeg, .jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp).
Applicants are required to obtain two different references from different individuals. Applicants should include at least one reference from a recognized authority involved in the arts or entertainment industries. File Types Supported: PDF (preferred) (.pdf), Microsoft Office (.doc, .ppt, .xls), Microsoft Office 2007 & 2010: Supported but not recommended (.docx, .pptx, .xlsx), Open Office (.odt), Images (.jpeg, .jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp), Other (.txt, .rtf, .tex). Please note that xlsx, docx and pptx formats are not entirely supported. Please save your file types as xls, doc and ppt respectively before uploading.
Your Résumé is your acting experience. Please submit your resume in accordance to industry standard format. File Types Supported: PDF (preferred) (.pdf), Microsoft Office (.doc, .ppt, .xls), Microsoft Office 2007 & 2010: Supported but not recommended (.docx, .pptx, .xlsx), Open Office (.odt), Images (.jpeg, .jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp), Other (.txt, .rtf, .tex). Please note that xlsx, docx and pptx formats are not entirely supported. Please save your file types as xls, doc and ppt respectively before uploading.
7) USD $50 Application Fee. USD $10 admin fee for current AiF members (Flexi-Pass holders are not eligible).
An Application Fee must be paid via PayPal or Credit Card (via by the PayPal Terminal) on the application form only. You must be signed-in to your application to submit this payment. No refunds of any kind permitted, including for withdrawn, cancelled, disqualified or unsuccessful applications.
After you complete your application, you may save it and return at any time before the deadline to login and amend your submission. Once you have submitted your application, you will no longer have access to edit any part of it, but you are able to view and download your submitted answers and material. Please ensure that you are happy with your answers, headshot and video before submitting.
Q. What is meant by Scholarship?
A. Scholarship refers to how an applicant will spend their time if awarded the Heath Ledger Scholarship. This could refer to classes the applicant wants to take, meetings arranged or any other manner in which the applicant will engage in furthering their career while abroad.
The Scholarship refers to the classes, workshops, training, and other prizing the applicant would receive in Los Angeles
Q. Do you have to live solely in Australia to qualify for the Heath Ledger Scholarship?
A. No, the applicant must be a citizen of Australia but can live elsewhere.
Q. Tell me about the video section of the application, what should I film?
A. Please send us a two-minute video that best showcases your talent. This could be a reel, a scene, a monologue or any creative piece that you feel conveys your best talents.
Q. How do I apply?
A. Please see the Application Checklist above.
Q. If I have any questions, who do I write to?
A. You may contact AiF at firstname.lastname@example.org.